I had such a totally weird dream last night that I feel compelled to post about it here!
In the dream, I was watching the English dub of Sailor Moon, but everything was a little weird about it. Like there was this big scene where Serena (untransformed and alone) ends up on the moon for some reason. After a little while I realized that what I was watching was a different English dub that I’d never heard of. There were a lot of mystifying similarities - like all the dub names were intact - and a lot of stuff that was so altered from the source material that I could hardly believe it - like the Serena on the moon scene above, or how shortly before his death Jadeite somehow got transformed into a human-sized slimy salamander thing.
Also I sleeptalk, and I’m pretty sure I actually shouted “Moon Prism Power!!” during one part of that dream…
So that’s my weird dream! I left out a lot of irrelevant details, like how at random points I was flying in circles around the house for some reason, or how I spent like five whole minutes worrying that Serena wasn’t going to be able to breathe on the moon.
It also got me to thinking, for some reason (there must be unremembered details of the dream hovering on the edge of my consciousness), about if someone did a new version of Sailor Moon (anything from fanfic to legit TV show) and had it take place in America, what would be the best choice for the city it’s set in? New York, because it’s the country’s largest? D.C., because it’s the country’s capital? Or something else entirely, for a reason that didn’t occur to me?
I’m interested to hear - what do you think?
Adshdhjfbvsjk DX DX
Tonight was that rehearsal that’s horrifically terrible. That one you kind of forget is going to happen - even though it happens every year. The old directors gather in a circle afterward and commiserate before everyone slinks on home. I mean, you know it was a bad night when nobody even wants a beer. Ouch.
Stressed-out Usagi makes me feel better, for some reason. (Schadenfreude?) That or it’s the one-o’clock in the morning dinner of beef stew.
Just wanted to keep you updated…?? IDEK, there is noooo point to this post. Thanks for sticking with me, here! It’s been really heartwarming that I haven’t lost a single follower during my little hiatus so far! You guys are great! <3
One of my favorite things about the Sailor Moon fandom is its far-reaching nature. It seems easy to forget within the large English-speaking group that we are actually an offshoot, a single branch of a fandom that originated in Japan. Then sometimes you run into a Sailor Moon fan who is Chinese, or Mexican, or German, and you remember how deliciously widespread the Sailor Moon love actually is.
Today’s fanart is by a Russian fan. I can’t read most of her artist’s comments, but the spirit of the characters shines through!
Item one: Minako
Love this picture. The outfit is completely weird and yet somehow very awesome. It definitely seems like something Minako would wear!
Item two: Ami-Zoi child
All together now: B’aaaaawwwwww <3
Item three: HarukaZoi
Every so often I get complacent in my Sailor Moon shipping. I’ve long since gotten to the point of playing around with such weird ships as Setsuna/Taiki and Seiya/Berthier, and sometimes it feels like I’ve seen it all. Then I stumble across things like this!
The artist explains: “I’ve always had this kinda joke idea…since they’re seem to be a handful of people who actually like the pairs of JadeitexSetsuna and KunzitexMichiru. I thought if we going down that road, that NephHotaru would be cute and HaruZoi would be epically hilarious.”
Item four: pervert
I’m not a big Ami/Zoi shipper, but… this is fabulous. XD
Item five: Kollaj
I’ve mentioned before that I have a pretty big soft spot for sketch and art dumps. However, this time I’ve chosen it for one specific picture…
This time I managed to put together teams for Usagi and her guardian Senshi! The teams are focused on the Dark Kingdom arc, which takes place in Kanto, so I used all Kanto Pokés and FireRed/LeafGreen sprites (minus a couple of special cases).
Usagi Tsukino is Sailor Clefairy! Her dream is to be a bride, but for right now she’s traveling with Pokémon and trying a few different things. Pokémon that suited her were actually really hard to come by until I thought of giving her the type of Pokés that I like to call “suspiciously delicious”. So, one by one:
- Wigglytuff is a bunny rabbit, natch. She also evolves with a Moon Stone. I figure she begins the story as a Jigglypuff.
- Nidoran is the only other vaguely rabbitlike Pokémon in generation one, so I felt the need to include one. She also serves as another connection between Usagi and Minako (see below).
- Paras is found in Mount Moon and has mushrooms on his back! I’m sold!
- Krabby is even more suspiciously delicious than Paras. (Remember how when Ash caught his Krabby, he was legitimately worried Professor Oak might eat it?) He’s also, entirely by coincidence, a nice counterpart to Paras in appearance.
- Eevee may have been Usagi’s first Pokémon - I think she originally lived in Celadon City. Eevee remains as she is through the first arc, then evolves into Umbreon in Johto.
- It’s Luna the Skitty! I made her pink color a little darker, since Luna is a black cat. I debated for a while as to wether Luna counts as a spot on Usagi’s team, since I doubt that she actually resides in a Poké Ball. Still not sure about it.
Ami Mizuno is Sailor Lapras! Her dream is to be a doctor, and she doesn’t even have a Pokémon license when Usagi first meets her. Though she joins up with Usagi, she keeps up with her studies. As someone not interested in a Pokémon-centric career, I figure she wouldn’t end up with too many companions.
- Alakazam is the final evolution of her first Pokémon, Abra. He has an IQ of 5000, like all Alakazams.
- Dewgong is a Water and Ice-type, so I thought he’d be fairly suited to Ami. I also tend to think of Dewgongs as being very graceful, calm Pokémon, and I think that one would be a good influence on Ami.
- Porygon is of course in reference to Ami’s minor technological theme. I haven’t decided if it literally is her supercomputer.
Rei Hino is Sailor Ninetales! Her dream is to be a Shinto priestess, and she’s working as a miko when Usagi meets her. That said, she has her trainer’s license and the first forms of all her team except Gengar at that time.
- Sailor Ninetales has a Ninetales. It seems a little redundant, but it’s just so perfect I can’t help myself!
- Arcanine, like Ninetales, is a fire-type Pokémon based on a mythical creature. They’re good for double battles together. I figure that Arcanine is a male and Ninetales a female.
- Gengar (as a Gastly) is the only later addition to Rei’s team. I’m not… totally sure why I decided on him, but there he is anyway! He adds a little spice to her team, in any case.
- Phobos and Deimos the Murkrows! Rei caught them before any of the others on her team.
Makoto Kino is Sailor Raichu! She’s a girl with big dreams - she want to be a bride, she wants to own a flower shop, and she wants to own a cake shop. In any case, for now she’s traveling with Pokémon. Her focus isn’t as scattered as Usagi’s, but she does tend to switch between the Gym challenge, Pokémon Contests, and Pokéathalon on a fairly regular basis.
- Makoto’s Venusaur was her first Pokémon. He may actually be an Ivysaur already by the time we meet her! I figure that he’s a Pokémon with a huge flower on his back, so he’s suited for her!
- Pikachu! ‘Nuff said.
- Gloom is a fun one. She starts out as an onion (food theme for Makoto, natch) and ends up as a flower! I’ve left her as a Gloom here because I haven’t decided between Vileplume and Bellossom.
- Hitmonchan is a fighting-type, which I’d say Makoto always needs at least one of! He can also use an electric-type attack, and pairs up well with one of Minako’s Pokés (see below).
- Electrode. It’s electric-type. That’s about it. I seriously considered both Magnemite and Jolteon for this spot, but I figured that Electrode is a perfectly good Pokémon and doesn’t force another repeat Pokémon, so it’ll do just fine.
- Lickitung loves to eat and Makoto loves to cook. What could possibly be a better match? He’s one of the last additions to her team, but I think he sticks with her at least through Black Moon Circus (Sinnoh).
Minako Aino is Sailor Nidoran! (Sailor N?) Her dream is to be an idol, which she attempts to achieve by entering Pokémon Contests. I actually had a really impossible time choosing her Pokémon, go figure.
- Jigglypuff is the quintessential singing Pokémon from the first generation, so there’s no way I wasn’t going to include her! It’s a little bit of an overlap with Usagi’s team, but Minako’s Jiggly never evolves.
- Hitmonlee seems like a strange pick at first glance. I always thought it was interesting how many physical attacks Sailor V got, particularly kicking ones, so when I thought of Hitmonlee I couldn’t pass him by!
- Jynx is a love, beauty, singing, dancing Pokémon. She’s also blonde and totally weird, so perfection is absolutely achieved here. I figure Jynx and Hitmonlee are the only actual mating pair within the teams.
- Magnemite, in addition to fulfilling Venus’ “metal star” requirement, serves as the techie to Minako’s idol. It also airlifts her out of trouble when necessary - both as Minako and Sailor Nidoran (she hangs from its magnets). There’s also the whole generation one glitch “Magnemite’s song”, but I’m not sure if that will become relevant at any point.
- Finally, it’s Artemis the Skitty! Like Luna was darkened, Artemis’ pink fur was lightened.
And that’s all! Man, why is it always 3:30 AM when I finish PokéMoon posts?!
So much for this post! You may recall that a couple of weeks ago when I reblogged Sailor Failures’ Pokémon/Sailor Moon crossover idea that I said I had my own PokéMoon concept to share. I was totally feeling in the groove for that today and decided to go ahead and modify some Pokémon sprites!
And now it’s 3AM! Haha, a liiiittle late to write a post, do you think?
On the plus side, I think I’ve retained my sprite-altering skills from my preteen years!
Here, instead of a real post have a screenshot of the mess this all evolved from!
Day 9 - Favorite minor character
Ah, Ryo Urawa. I really love this guy - he’s got to be one of the only victims-of-the-day to star in two entirely disconnected episodes. Actually, he’s probably one of the very few to even show up in more than one episode at all!
Ryo was sort of an odd duck in that he was drawn very differently than any other character in the anime. First of all, he had a different build than the other male characters - compare him to how Mamoru and Motoki are practically just recolors of each other. More notable than that, however, are his eyes.
This isn’t just a one-time thing I’m overemphasizing, either. His eyes look like this every single time he’s onscreen. His face is unusual in general, actually. His cheeks have emphasis lines like a girl (something not even the effeminate Zoisite or Fisheye got), his eyebrows are unusually thick, and when angered or in pain his entire face transforms.
There’s something actually a little familiar about his appearance - like I’ve seen this type of character model in another anime. I can’t place it, though.
Moving right along, there’s his infatuation with Ami. Despite the fact that he didn’t get to stick around, this was the most romantic attention Ami got until the SuperS special. Judging by the fact that the special was called “Ami-chan’s First Love”, it wasn’t a requited crush. Sorry there, Ryo.
As a final point, Ryo gets to turn into one of the more unusual monsters I’ve seen in this series. It’s not that he’s got a compass for one hand and a protractor on his head, it’s that he doesn’t really look like a Sailor Moon monster. Nearly all the Sailor Moon anime monsters I can think of are extremely humanlike (the exception being the one rainbow crystal youma who was originally a cat). Ryo’s youma form (Bunbo) is a weird lizard/robot behemoth, and frankly quite unique.
So there it is. TL:DR, Ryo is my favorite minor character in Sailor Moon because he shows up twice, has a crush on a main character, and both his human and youma forms look like they’ve been ported over from some other anime entirely.
So heeeey there! As you might have figured out if you’ve been following this blog, I write these articles ahead of time and throw them in a queue to be posted the following afternoon while I’m busy.
That makes right now St. Patrick’s Day. Nighttime on St. Patrick’s Day. I may hold my liquor better than Usagi up there (really? drunk off half a glass of fru-fru cherry stuff?), but nevertheless I think that writing an article right now might not… work too well? In any case, I’m also running up and down the stairs every fifteen minutes working on a special project!
Hmm, shiny new big-rig and Guinness. Nice combo.
In any case, I officially declare today to be reblog day! I’ve found a few awesome things to reblog recently, so you won’t be disappointed!